Monday, March 12, 2018

Day 29



Day 29. Best Resource

I am a HUGE advocate for being trauma informed and specifically being trained in Trust Based Relational Intervention as an adoptive parent. If you’ve never heard of these things, go now! Look up Karen Purvis, read The Connected Child, thank me later.

But when thinking of the best resource, I keep coming back to each other. We are each other’s best resource. The adoptive parents who have answered my questions, listened to my rants, given encouragement at the exact right time in the exact right way- you just can’t get that from a book or even a therapist. It is crowd sourcing at its best-especially if you join the online adoption community. And I’d like to expand that to include other parents- those who have experience in the world of special needs but may not have adopted. There aren’t classes or books out there on how to go to an IEP meeting or how to handle your child’s unique strain of developmental trauma. But there are other parents who are walking the same line and I’ve found the best resources to come from these fellow travelers. I can’t imagine going into adoption or special needs parenting without a community. I do imagine those who choose solitude don’t fare very well. We need each other. The help I’ve received has spurred on a desire to give back and pay it forward in any way I can. It’s a big motivator for my participation in this month long writing challenge. If through one of my posts, one person is encouraged that they are not alone in this journey, then I will count that as a great success.

I love receiving Facebook messages and emails from parents just starting their adoption journey or newly home. I love meeting these souls face to face even more at conferences and meet ups. And I have a cherished tribe of moms with whom I text/message/cry/laugh/etc with that just *get it.* I am so much more richer for the friends I’ve made since bringing our daughter home and I am forever grateful for this treasure of a resource we have in each other. Need a friend? Send me a message!

#knittogetherbyadoption #wecouldhavemissedthis#NationalAdoptionMonth

No comments:

Post a Comment