Monday, March 12, 2018

Day 3


Who Should Care

I started today's thoughts a few days ago… I felt a little heavy handed and preachy. And I am in one sense… who should care? Everyone. Children needing homes is a human crisis. If you are breathing, the fact that little ones go to bed cold, hungry, and alone should cause your heart to break. And if you're a Christian, then I have lots of words for you about caring for the marginalized. It's not a calling, it's a characteristic of a true believer. My faith compels me action- my supposed search for a calling or a purpose for my life is merely a facade, hiding my fear, doubt, or even disobedience. If you love Jesus, you should be active in relieving the ‘orphan crisis.’ Adopt, foster, support families that do. Mentor a foster child, financial support family preservation ministries, fund surgeries for orphans.

I wrote these words from the waiting room of the OR. My daughter is having a minor medical procedure but it is her first to our knowledge. She's charming and silly unless she's in a surly mood (she was in both this morning by the way). But when I lifted her onto the operating table and all the nurses and techs in masks moved into her vision, I saw a flash of panic in her eyes. Oxygen mask was held on, blood pressure cuff, pulse ox strapped on, and strong arms held her tiny body down as the anesthesia began to flow into her body. That fear became more evident until her tiny arm flung out in my direction and I grasped her fingers in my hand. Our eyes met and she remembered she was not alone.

No child should have to face life alone. If you need a personalized reason for why you should care, then look at a before and after photo of #mightymila … before a family and after a family. We are not miracle workers but our God is. He has restored joy to a child by providing a family. Mila will never have to face a scary hospital visit by herself. She will never have to wonder who will take care of her when she is sick. She will never face an uncertain future all alone. If this can be part of our family’s story, it can be a part of yours too. Who should care? We all should.

No comments:

Post a Comment